St. Landry Parish Tax Renewal
On November 18, St. Landry Parish residents will have the opportunity to vote on an important tax renewal that plays a critical role in supporting essential community services. This tax renewal is crucial for funding various vital services, including health units, animal control, and a portion of coroner expenses. We want to provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision when you cast your vote.
How will it look on the Ballot?
- PARISHWIDE PROPOSITION – 2.17 MILLS RENEWAL – PC – 10 YRS.
- Shall the Parish of St. Landry, State of Louisiana, continue to levy a 2.17 mills tax on all the property subject to taxation within the Parish (an estimated $1,626,200 reasonably expected at this time to be collected from the levy of the tax for an entire year), for a period of 10 years, beginning with the year 2024 and ending with the year 2033, for the purpose of maintaining and operating public health units in the Parish?
What is the Health Unit Tax Renewal?
- The St. Landry Parish Tax Renewal is a proposal to continue funding specific services that are vital to the well-being and safety of our community. These services include:
- Health Units: This tax funds health units in Eunice, Sunset, and Melville, which play a crucial role in safeguarding public health. Health units provide essential services such as vaccinations, maternal and child health programs, and wellness education.
- Animal Control: The tax also contributes to funding animal control services in St. Landry Parish. These services are responsible for protecting public safety by managing and responding to issues related to stray or potentially dangerous animals. Animal control helps ensure that our neighborhoods remain safe and free from potential risks.
- Coroner Expenses: A portion of this tax goes towards covering some of the expenses incurred by the coroner’s office.
How much does this cost me?
- This tax renewal is set at 2.17 mills. One mill is equal to one-tenth of one percent or 0.001. So, a 2.17 mill tax renewal means that for every $1,000 of assessed property value, you will pay $2.17 towards this specific tax.
- The Median Home Value in St. Landry is $122,900
- Let’s say the assessed value is $5,000
- Health Unit Tax = (2.17 mills x 5,000) / 1000
- In this case, it would only cost this homeowner around $10.85 in their annual property taxes
Why is this tax important?
- The state provides no financial support for Eunice, Sunset for Melville Health Units
- St. Landry Parish is solely responsible for the staffing, office expenses, and all costs at these locations
- Without the tax, these services would no longer be available
What do the St. Landry Health Units Offer?
- WIC Program (Women, Infants and Children)
- Supplemental food program for women, infants, and children.
- Provides a special formula for infants
- Provides nutritional counseling for children and adults
- VFC (Vaccinations for Children)
- The administration of vaccinations to children up to the age of eighteen.
- Provides children vaccinations despite their family’s financial situations
- Also offers influenza vaccinations