Starting October 1, 2022, Bayou State Waste, LLC will be your new service provider for residential garbage collection. In order to provide excellent service throughout St. Landry Parish, collection days have been revamped.
- Collection service will be going from twice a week, to once a week parish wide. Your new collection day will be determined by your location. Individual residents and small commercial businesses utilizing cart service can find their new garbage collection schedule either by calling (337) 290-1456 or at this website www.bayoustate.net. Customer service hours are Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- New Carts shall not be used until the start date of October 1, 2022.
- One (1), 96-Gallon cart will be provided to each address. When your cart is delivered, it will be placed at the best location for pickup. A serial number and RFID chip is embedded into the cart, so it is to remain at its correct location. That location once delivered, will correspond with the address to which it was delivered, establishing its location.
- Residents should contact Bayou State Waste at (337) 290-1456 if their cart is stolen, damaged, destroyed, or have any service issues.
- Each residence will be initially provided with a ninety-six (96) gallon wheeled cart and allowed up to two (2) bags of garbage to be placed outside the cart on pick-up day. Information on obtaining an extra cart or how to purchase one can be found at www.bayoustate.net.
- Carts should be placed at the curb the night before your scheduled pick-up or carts must be in place by 4:00 a.m. on the scheduled pick-up day.
- Carts must be placed at least 3 to 5 feet away from vehicles and other obstructions. If a residence has multiple carts, this allows for the trucks to grab ahold of the carts themselves. Always place your cart at the curb with wheels and handle towards your residence. If you have a ditch, please place cart on the street side of the ditch, if possible. PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THE CART ON THE STREET WHERE IT MAY BE STOLEN OR DAMAGED.
- Household garbage should be bagged and tied shut before being placed in the cart to avoid any loose trash. Bags will keep your cart clean, minimize odors and lessen litter. DO NOT PUT HOT ASHES OR COALS, HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS, OR MEDICAL WASTE INTO THE GARBAGE CART. Avoid overloading carts so that the lids remain closed to prevent littering, allow for automated collection, and help to control odor and varmints.
- Please utilize St. Landry Parish Solid Waste Disposal District Residential Drop off Centers for all Recycling. For Buy Back Operations, please call (337) 942-9576.
- Solid waste too large or too heavy to fit in the garbage cart is known as bulky waste. Bulky waste will be picked up on a separate day by Morgan and Morgan Land Prep. To find your new bulk pick-up schedule you may call (337) 331-5375, or get the information on their website, www.mmlandprep.com. Customer service hours are Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Some examples of bulky waste are refrigerators, stoves, washing machines, dishwashers, freezers that have been emptied and left with the doors open, hot water heaters that have been drained, metal grills, push mowers with no gas or oil, furniture, mattresses, etc.
- Yard waste includes grass clippings, loose leaves, limbs (no tree stumps), sticks, brush, and shrubs generated from routine landscape maintenance of residential properties, waste free of trash, litter, or other collection materials. Yard waste must be bundled or bagged, bundles should be less than six (6) feet in length and two (2) feet in diameter and not exceed seventy-five (75) pounds. Yard waste will be picked up on the same day as bulk pick-up day.
Prohibited Bulky Waste
- Commercial construction, remodeling debris, remnants of land clearing or demolitions, household hazardous waste (includes paint, motor oil, pool chemicals, etc.), tires, propane tanks, concrete, automotive parts, batteries, or hazardous waste, should be disposed of commercially. (No tree contractor or commercial debris will be collected.)
- All commercial or contractor waste must be permitted prior to entry of landfill, contact the Solid Waste permit office at (337) 945-3662 to schedule.
Household Hazardous Waste
- St. Landry Parish Solid Waste Disposal District hosts a Hazardous Waste Day to collect qualifying items, usually not accepted on a regular basis. To find information on these Hazardous Waste Day events, please see our website: www.slpsolidwaste.org or go to our Facebook page,
“St. Landry Parish Solid Waste Disposal District” or call the landfill at 337-826-5211.
Dumping at the Landfill
- The St. Landry Parish Solid Waste Disposal District operates a Type II Subtitle D Sanitary Landfill. They only accept waste from St. Landry Parish Residents. To dispose of items at the landfill, residents must provide proof of residency in St. Landry Parish with either a current driver’s license or current utility bill. They cannot accept hazardous waste or industrial by-products. All other general household waste/construction waste/business waste is accepted. Residents can bring items to the landfill and are allowed access to ramps for disposal.